Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Story

I have lots of stories, but I think everyone in this industry remembers their first claim that comes to perdition. I was fresh out of school had just received my insurance license, and the company I was working for at the time did an excellent job of stressing how important it was to be well covered and to always focus on the value of the policy not the dollar amount.


I had just written a policy for the sweetest couple transplanting from California to Washington for retirement. I remember how excited and sweet they were booming with anticipation, ready to move into their new home in the beautiful Spokane forest. Normally I’d do a sit down meeting with the clients for a more personal review, but based on the out of state situation it wasn’t a possibility. And they needed insurance for their newly built home ASAP. So we reviewed over the phone and I made my suggestions for the couple. We even laughed about how he had never had a ticket or accident in 50 plus years of driving, but we both agreed insurance was an important purchase.

Later that week I was out at dinner with a friend of mine. We were enjoying ourselves at this new swanky restaurant. I gave my cell phone out to clients for emergency, and told them not to worry if it’s an emergency to call me anytime. Sure enough I receive a call at 9:30pm, and I hear Nancy’s voice on the phone and I can immediately tell it’s bad. She’s crying and hysterical, and she should be.

“Heather, my husbands been in a serious accident, and he’s broken his neck. The doctor’s aren’t sure if he’s going to make it.” He had been medivacted by helicopter to a surgeon in Spokane, still in a coma. He had flipped his truck four times when his trailer jackknifed on the freeway on his way up from California. Thankfully Nancy was not in the truck at the time. There was nothing left of the Dodge, it was now a piece metal that looked like it had been put thru a can crusher. The trailer was broken apart and their livelihood sprawled upon the ground over 100’s of feet. “Our whole life was in that trailer” she sobbed. I told her not to worry; I can fix the truck and your TV. But you need to be with your husband now.
I still remember that day like it was yesterday, I remember bringing him flowers at the hospital, seeing him wrapped up in a full cast, having a machine breath for him. I had wished our first meeting would have something completely different, I had wished his wife could have her husband as he was a week ago. But this story will always stick with me, because we do what we do because we love to serve people. I always want the best for my clients, and I will never underestimate what can happen. For we always hear in this industry, “I’ve paid all these years for insurance and never had an accident”, and too those folks I can say be thankful, some are not as lucky. Let me share a story with you.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet story, but I'm sure you mean "fruition" and not "perdition" and you may want to brush up on the proper use of "to", "two", and "too". Try grammargirl.com for some basics on writing and consult your dictionary.

    ReplyDelete